Settlement Services at the Welcome Centres assist immigrants and refugees to settle and integrate in order to become established and contributing members of Canadian society.
Settlement Services are provided by Settlement Counsellors (in either individual or group settings) to help immigrants and their families deal with problems related to their adjustment, adaptation and integration in the community. In partnership with the client, Settlement Counsellors help establish priorities, identify services required, assist with scheduling appointments, register for appropriate programs and find information.
- Immigrant Settlement & Adaptation Program/Newcomer Settlement Program
These programs offer newcomer orientation workshops, information, referrals, guidance, advocacy, interpretation and translation, adjustment counselling, newcomer support groups, public education, community outreach and family life education. Information sessions are held regularly on settlement related topics such as education, housing, employment, taxation and community resources.
- Community Connections Volunteer Program
This volunteer program welcomes newcomers with resident Canadians who provide guidance and mentoring in a group setting. The program promotes cultural integration and is designed to:
- assist immigrants/refugees to become established and contributing members of Canadian society;
- promote community awareness and cultural sensitivity to the needs of immigrants/refugees in York Region;
- encourage racial understanding and harmony among residents in York Region;
- make new contacts through social events and practice conversational English or French.
- Services for Women, Youth & Seniors
Newcomer women, youth and seniors often face specific barriers to settling in Canada. Specialized services at the Welcome Centres include support groups, recreational and educational opportunities, friendship-building activities and more. All services are designed to support and assist women, youth and seniors to deal with the issues they face when trying to integrate into Canadian society. For more information, email email@example.com or call 1-877-761-1155.
- Interpretation Services
Experienced professional interpreters are available at no cost to clients. Interpreters will assist with appointment setting and support clients at any Welcome Centre (by telephone or video-conferencing) in order to provide improved access to the services and programs offered.